Monday, October 27, 2003

Some of the weirdest people
I just came back from a television shoot. I must say (and I'm trying not to make generalizations), that extras are the weirdest people. Why do the weird ones come up and talk to me?

So I was standing around, for them to call me to the soundstage, when an extra came up to me and asked "Do you watch Hong Kong movies?" I said "No." Then she asked "Were you born in America?" I lied and said yes. Then she proceeded to talk about Hong Kong movies. What the hell is that? Just because I'm Asian you think I watch Hong Kong movies? What pissed me off more was that SHE WAS ASIAN TOO! Anyways, I was doing my best to not have a conversation with her, and then she says "Are you Pilipino?" I said "Yes." Then she says "Do you watch Pilipino movies? They're bloody awful." Whatever, lady, you suck. I was not talking with you, and I was not asking your opinion. Yet, since I just happened to be standing there, I became your conversation buddy.

OK, so next, I did my scene. After I was done, I was walking back to the dressing room, and another extra just happened to be walking next to me. He was a big guy, about my age, but he had this little kid attitude, like I had the answers to everything. I was flattered, but really, I don't have the answers to anything. But as we walked the LONG WALK from the soundstage to the dressing area, he spoke nonstop to me. "How long have you been doing this? Is it fun? I want to get into stunt work. I think I would be good at it." And on and on and on and on. He wasn't annoying, really. In fact, I found him a bit endearing. But it was just that he KEPT ON TALKING. Again, I didn't say much. I tried, but HE KEPT TALKING.

Oh, and by the way, an older, fading megastar from the 70's/80's was on the set for the same show. She looked kind of schlubb-y. And all I could think while I looked at her was "I wonder if she's drunk?"

No comments: