Friday, April 21, 2006

Old Tyme Language

A couple of friends and I are trying to bring back near-extinct English phrases. For example:

1) Using the word "Say" before each sentence. "Say" should be elongated, like "Saaaaay". For example, "Saaay, what's the big idea?" or "Saaay, you're a pretty dame."

2) Using "Dame" for a woman.

3) Using the word "Fellow" (pronounced "fella") when addressing or reffering to a man. "Saaaay, fella, who's that fella with that group of fellas?"

4) Using the word "fisticuffs" to mean a fight. Of course, this word is from an earlier era than the previous three, but it's a word that's gone out of fashion and needs to be revived, if only for my pleasure. "Saaay, that's the fella I got into fisticuffs with over that dame."

If you have more to add, please do. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of other words. Like "moll." I think that's a gangster's girlfriend. But I could be wrong.

P.S.
On an entirely different note, check out this article about my trapeze coach! He fuckin ROCKS!!!
http://www.laweekly.com/la-people-2006/suspended-storyteller/13159/

No comments: