Wednesday, October 16, 2002

They Look Like Neon Witches' Hats

Is it orange cone day here in Los Angeles? Is that what it is? Here's how my morning drive went...

I had to go to an audition this morning. On my way to the freeway, the three-lane street that led to the freeway entrance was reduced to one lane because of "tree maintenance" crews, who were trimming trees on the island and had lots of equipment, so two lanes were blocked with orange cones. At this point, I'm getting nervous cuz I don't want to be late.

On the freeway, the traffic was slow on my side because people were rubbernecking an accident that happened in the opposite direction. That slowed me down some more, but when I saw my exit, I thought "Great, smooth sailing from here on." But, alas, on the exit ramp, one of the three exit lanes was blocked with orange cones because they were repairing a traffic signal. Slowed me down again.

So now I'm on Melrose Avenue, and I think "Great, Melrose will be smooth sailing from here on." But no. First, there was a large FedEx Ground truck RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, driving slow because it was large. So I decided to pull into the right lane to get around it (what was it doing in the left lane anyway?). But suddenly, I had to pull back behind the large truck because, right in front of Paramount Studios, they were digging up the street for some reason, blocking it off with MORE ORANGE CONES.

So I get to the audition pretty much about two or three minutes late. The audition was quick, and I decide to take a different route to get back, because of all the cones. Things were running smoothly, until, about four blocks from the freeway entrance, a truck blocked the CENTER lane with it's orange cones. Hmm. Orange cone day. It's only 1pm, and I have a little more driving to do. I wonder what I'll see.

No comments: