Thursday, May 23, 2002

As I sit here at my Morning Job™, the question of "why am I here" pops up. And when I ask that, I mean "why am I sitting at this desk right now," as opposed to "why do I exist" (but it'll evolve to that really soon, just watch).

Last night, after rehearsal, t and e and I sat down and stressed out about the show. Should we edit stuff? How are we feeling about it? Can we change anything? It was late, and we were tired, and we stressed out over those questions. We always stress over a show. On the drive home, I thought to myself that I would rather stress out over the art I created than stress out over weather or not Richard Gere's photo went to the right press people. Which brought me to the question "why am I here" at this Morning Job™. Which then led me to the question of "why do we do what we do?"

Does it matter weather or not "Survivor" gets top ratings? Does it matter that "Spiderman" kicks box office ass? Who does it matter to? It only matters to the producers. Why should people like that get paid rediculous amounts of money? Sure, "Sex in the City" may be entertaining, but do the actors deserve all that money? As an artist, my work is important to me, and I'd like to make a living off of my work, but, in all honesty, I would feel wierd being paid rediculous amounts of cash for doing what I love doing anyway. Sure, if I got enough money to pay the rent, eat, have fun, and take a vacation once in a while, that would be awesome. But do I need to make as much as a small country?

Hopefully these answers will help me find the Answer To It All.

No comments: