Sunday, May 12, 2002

Please help me because I don't get it anymore

So I'm watching TV last night by myself, just like any hip and crazy single guy living in L.A. would do, right? Yeah, right. Aaaany-whoo, I flip the channels and run into a show called "The world's Greatest commercials" or something like that, hosted by Arsenio Hall and some blonde model. The thing that disturbed me wasn't Asenio's hair, or the model's tacky outfit, but the show itself.

Are you catching my drift yet? It's a TV show about COMMERCIALS. I'm not getting it. How bass-ackwards is the country becoming? It's like having a magazine about magazine ads. Instead of actual programming, we're looking to commercials for entertainment. So now, instead of watching maybe 47 minutes of a show with 13 minutes of commercials, we're watching 60 minutes of commercials, with dipshit commentary in between. And why does a TV show about commercials need COMMERCIAL BREAKS?

It's fascinating that our culture is so much about being a consumer that we enjoy watching the ways we are being told to consume. How to tell people what to buy has become an art in itself. Is that scary or interesting? Or interestingly scary?

P.S. Happy mother's day!

No comments: