Thursday, June 20, 2002

I love my car. I rarely use it, though. Usually about 3 or 4 times a week. But it needs a vacuum and constant washing. I don't have a garage, and the LA air is so sooty there's always a layer of dust on it. Of all my vehicles, this one is the cleanest I've kept. Pretty good, considering what a car slob I am. I am determined to keep the trunk fairly empty. I don't know why, but I love empty trunks. It's a preparedness thing, I guess. I've always kept the "be prepared" thing since the boy scouts, and having trunk space makes me feel like I can take things on at a moment's notice. Large box? No problem. Bicycle? No problem. Dead body? Well, if you insist, sure. You clean it out, though.

Same thing goes for my apartment, too. This is the first apartment I've had on my own, so I try to keep it fairly clean. Sure, I let it all go to hell on those extremely, insanely busy weeks/months, like MAY, but in general, I've been keeping my slobbishness to a minimum. There was a time where you couldn't walk in my room without stepping on something. I think I'm that way because before, I used to have roommates, so I had to make sure the common areas were liveable. And I guess I needed to have a space just for me to not care so much, so I figured "hell, I'll let my room fall to shit. As long as it doesn't creep out into the hallway, I'm cool."

But now that I have my own space, I've sort of created my own "sanctuary." I intentionally keep one section of my wall without any posters/pictures/furniture. I keep it bare. I call it my "zen space." Just a blank area to keep all clutter away, so no matter what the situation is, there is always a space with nothing.

No comments: