Wednesday, June 26, 2002

I'm not a big sports fan, and I'm not writing this to belittle sports fans or anything. I'm just wondering. Why do sports fans go crazy over their favorite teams? Looking at it objectively, I'm just trying to figure that one out. Some people go completely bonkeroos watching a bunch of other people playing a game. They enjoy it, but wouldn't it be more fun to participate in the game than watch? Maybe some people aren't as good at the game as the ones playing, so they enjoy it vicariously.

But what drives a stadium of thousands to simultaniously enjoy vicariously to such fanatic fervor? It's almost religious. Do they pin their hopes on these teams? What do they hope for? Do the players represent what the spectator wishes for? Maybe the spectators wish they were sports stars, and are the teams living out their wishes?

Mabye it's the feeling of accomplishment at the end of a game. Mabye in watching a game the team, for the spectator, represents their personal desires for success. So when the team succeeds, the person feels like he/she succeeded. But why do we need a stand-in for our own feelings of success and accpomlishment? Are our own personal victories not enough to satisfy us? Do we need outside stimulus to inspire us to succeed in life? Can't we just do that on our own? Or does watching your team win excuse you from attempting to do anything in your own life?

On a completely different note, I may need new glasses soon (wow, did that subject change spin your head or what?). I've had the current pair for almost two years. What do I do that makes the left lenses of my glasses so scratchy? It's always the left lens that gets more scratchy than the right. Maybe the question should be, How do people keep their glasses scratch-free? Maybe they don't. Maybe I'm just like the teeming hoards of scratchy glasses people, but nobody says anything about it. I don't know. I think it's just me. I think I subconsciously want lasik surgery so I don't need glasses. But glasses have been part of my face for almost all my life. Oooh, I hate scratchy lenses.

No comments: